Sign in to follow this  
Bucks13

Jim Buckley (Bucks) Season 2019/20

I didn't have a great game today, I think in part because I was pissed off with the warm up and people just banging them in top corner from outside the area so I walked off in the end. Also not helped the pitch was rock hard and I only took studs with plastics in, really needed moulds.

Anyway first half was fine, not a lot to do, a couple of fathers etc, first goal was swung into the box from deep and their player lost his man and on the volley straight through my legs 1-0.

Second half we equalised after Mike our striker today hit a pot shot and their keeper fumbled it above his head into the  net 1-1.

Then some play down our right their LM cut back on to his right foot and curled in a cross, my initial thought was punch it clear, but as I got closer to the ball I thought I can catch this, and in the end I just ended up doing neither and missed the ball and it went straight in. 2-1

Third goal, quite similar, Free Kick on our right the guy hit it and one of their players looked like he was going to flick it with his head and didn't and it just ended up going in at the far post. 3-1

By this point I was a bit all over the place in my head and when  we lost the ball 45 seconds after our kick off and the bloke hit it from 25 yards, I dived but it nestled bottom corner, 4-1.

So yeah not a great day to be honest and I genuinely feel like the (lack of) warm up had a big part in it. I did make a couple of decent stops, but I also make a couple of other fudge ups including diving for a soft shot, got to it, caught it then dropped it as I hit the ground, luckily their player hit it straight at me on the floor.

Changed my mind about kit and ended up wearing the same Purple Nike kit I wore last time.

Boots I wore were the Adidas Copa 19.1 Black / Reds, and Gloves I went with the Pumas.

Good warm up is vital Bucks, this drill of outfield players just taking pot shots only drains a keeper of confidence if he hasn't done around 20 mins of handling and match preparation. 

What pumas are they?

43 minutes ago, Schumacher86 said:

Good warm up is vital Bucks, this drill of outfield players just taking pot shots only drains a keeper of confidence if he hasn't done around 20 mins of handling and match preparation. 

What pumas are they?

The ones pictured on the last page, Puma One Grip 1 RC. The new backhand style. The fit on Pumas is so much better now at long last, the grip is very good too (not that you would think so how I used them today!) 😅🤭

The Ultimate Grip latex feels a lot softer than I remember it from before. The wrist strap is still too bloody long though, had a bloody annoying flappy bit hanging off both wrists all game.

I completely agree about the warm up. I think the opposition purposely didn't put the net up at our end until 5 minutes before kick off, but even then the "warm up" I had was shocking, I just walked off in the end, there was no point me standing there with them firing them in from all angles, I could feel myself getting more and more pissed off.

206014_Gallery_3_0521325.jpg?imwidth=768

206014_Gallery_2_0521324.jpg?imwidth=768

206014_Main_Thumb_0521315.jpg?imwidth=76

35 minutes ago, Bucks13 said:

The ones pictured on the last page, Puma One Grip 1 RC. The new backhand style. The fit on Pumas is so much better now at long last, the grip is very good too (not that you would think so how I used them today!) 😅🤭

The Ultimate Grip latex feels a lot softer than I remember it from before. The wrist strap is still too bloody long though, had a bloody annoying flappy bit hanging off both wrists all game.

I completely agree about the warm up. I think the opposition purposely didn't put the net up at our end until 5 minutes before kick off, but even then the "warm up" I had was shocking, I just walked off in the end, there was no point me standing there with them firing them in from all angles, I could feel myself getting more and more pissed off.

206014_Gallery_3_0521325.jpg?imwidth=768

206014_Gallery_2_0521324.jpg?imwidth=768

Get yourself a teammate you trust with serving proper balls at you, go to edge of 18 yard box at end line and get him to warm you up, when you feel ready step into the goals, getting frustrated in the warm up transfer to a game and will effect you if things don't go your way.

Good to hear about the Puma gloves as they look class.

The line and boot the ball at the keeper is very popular around these parts for a lot of teams.  I think in the youth team case it is because none of the coaches really know squat about keepers and are more concerned with getting the field players warmed up and on frame.  When Wyatt started his first coach was smart enough to let Wyatt work out his on warm-up and would have one or two of the reserve players help him warm-up.  Once he got onto teams with 2 keepers they usually would warmup each other, but that was sort of haphazard as sometimes the other keeper didn't always take it seriously unless he was going to be the starter.

I hate this way of warming up! I normally stick to 7 aside and my warm up generally consists of the team smashing shots full pelt from about 10 yards out. Doesnt help at all!

Makes such a difference if I have a proper warm up, consisting of kicking, light handling and stretching.

Nothing worse than letting in a few easy ones or having handling problems in a warm up! Generally leads to a bad game 

22 minutes ago, The Dazzler99 said:

I hate this way of warming up! I normally stick to 7 aside and my warm up generally consists of the team smashing shots full pelt from about 10 yards out. Doesnt help at all!

Makes such a difference if I have a proper warm up, consisting of kicking, light handling and stretching.

Nothing worse than letting in a few easy ones or having handling problems in a warm up! Generally leads to a bad game 

Totally agree and not only that, the fact that I went into the game in a bad mood because of said warm up probably didn't help matters neither.

Starting to get frustrated with myself again. After a good few weeks after training with a Goalkeeper coach I feel like the last two weeks I have gone backwards again.

Had training today, our last week before the season starts next Sunday and I let in a number of soft goals, and was just generally slow to react. 😒😕 Hoping my GK coach can fit me in for a training session this week before the season gets underway.

First game of the season today and very much a game of two halves, with us unfortunately coming out on the losing side 3-2. We were quite slow out of the blocks anyway, and we had a very bare bones team, which is shocking for the first game of the season to be honest.

The game started with us right under the cosh from the off, and it was wave after wave of attack from the opposition. Then low whipped cross from our left fell to one of their players in the box who done a neat little back heel flick to his team mate who pretty central and from about 10 yards out turned and rifled in 1-0.

Second goal was an absolute rocket. We put in a crap corner and the opposition broke, ball down our left and their guy took a touch and hit this half volley straight across me into the far top corner. I make no joke that even a top pro would have struggled to get near it, it was quite a strike fair play to the lad. 2-0.

We pulled one back from a melee in the opposition box, 2-1.

Then the third goal, the one that pissed me off and I don't know how I got done by it. A hard challenge from Piercey our CB was given as a yellow and FK 22 yards out. I was stood central and on my line, the guy somehow shot straight over my head, I jumped up to tip it over but somehow tipped it onto the underside of the bar and in. 😒😒😒 So bloody pissed off. 3-1.

Second half was all us really, the opposition didn't have one shot of note on target and apart from some sweeping up and crosses I was virtually a spectator. We got another back from a free kick 3-2. I kind of wish we hadn't given my mistake ended up being the decider.

The pitch was stupidly hard today, even with FG boots on it felt like I was skating around on top of the surface and God knows what the ball was (it was a crap Nike one!), but I like to think I can play a bit and kick pretty well, but I really struggled with kicks both from the floor and from hands, barely reaching halfway.

Next week we play Kingston Dynamo who finished bottom of the League above us last season.

Kit: All Green Puma Keeper kit.

AJK03495-600x600.jpg

Boots: Puma One 5.1 FG (Black / Orange).

bota-puma-one-5.1-fgag-puma-black-nrgy-r

Gloves: 1st: Puma One Grip 1 RC, 2nd: Reusch Prisma Pro G3 Duo Black Hole.

206014_Main_Thumb_0521315.jpg?imwidth=76V3_1_Main_0365801.jpg?imwidth=768

Second League game of the season today against Kingston Dynamos who finished bottom of Division 4 last season (we finished mid table Div 5). We ended up winning quite convincingly 5-2 despite struggling to field a team and really it should have been more, we missed some good chances, but given the struggles we had to get a team out the win was the vital part.

I actually struggled first half, I seemed to not be able to pick the ball up and didn't come for a few balls I probably should have and I was getting frustrated with myself.

Their first goal was from a long throw, I called for it, came for it but one of my players stepped backwards into me af headbutted my chin 🙄 and one of their guys came round the back unmarked for an easy header.

Second goal we cleared a long throw but it got played back in low, it pin balled around 3 of their players before falling to one of their guys unmarked (AGAIN!), played on by one of our players to prod into the empty net from 6 yards out.

Towards the end of the game I started to come for balls over the top and read the game better, but I didn't really have an actual save to make apart from one simple diving catch from the last kick of the first half. Even more annoying my kicking seems to have tailed off at the moment, which was excellent last season. 🤔

Kit: All Purple Nike Goalkeeper kit.

csm_NAQ5324-547_1_ba5e2e450a.jpg

Boots: Adidas Predator 18.1 SG's (Black).

adidas-predator-18-1-sg-team-mode-p28425

Gloves: Reusch Prisma Pro G3 Duo Blackhole.

3870159.png

League Challenge Cup today, and yet another struggle to field a team resulted in basically a bare 11, with a 42 year old and our 63 year old manager on the bench. We started well and went behind to a really strange goal. The ball found its way to one of the opposition players on the edge of the box and he hit a decent but not exactly taxing shot, which happened it would seem just as the sun came from behind a cloud. I literally lost the ball completely and only caught sight of it again about 2 foot away from me, I tried my best but even with a strong ish hand on the ball it still went in. We then equalised from a set piece and the first half ended 1-1 and to be honest we could have been in front.

Second half we came out of the traps slow. A corner swung in from our right deceived my RB on the post, I managed to dive backwards and push it onto the bar and out, their player fired in again which I saved on the line with my leg then another player followed in and I stopped it again on the line before at the fourth attempt one of their players poked it home. 😒

We then fell apart a bit, our RB Sam having a torrid time and was beaten by their LM who slotted it across me into the bottom corner to make it 3-1, then a ball through past Sam again and the LM ran through, again I closed him down, this time taking the ball round me for 4-1.

We managed a goal back after a scramble in the box for 4-2, then a lofted ball beat Alan the 42 year old who was playing CB and their guy was through on goal, one of those awkward ones do I come, do I stay and in the end the guy hit a wicked half volley over me and into the fsr side of the net. 5-2.

We did get a penalty late on for two of their players fighting (is that a thing?) to end up 5-3 and out of the cup. I made those saves as I say for the second goal, and I tipped one drive from distance over the bar with finger tips but other than that not much to note. My kicking this season both from the ground and from hands has been absolutely atrocious though and I am not sure why. 🤔

Kit: Red Puma Shirt, Black Puma Shorts & Socks.

200476_Main_Thumb_0469607.jpg?imwidth=76

Boots: Adidas Copa 19.1 SG's (Black / Red).

204564_Main_Thumb_0484802.jpg?imwidth=76

Gloves: Uhlsport Absolutgrip HN Black Edition.

211502_Main_Thumb_0545081.jpg?imwidth=76

This is why I stopped playing 11 aside. Playing with the bare 11 and taking a spanking during the game. It killed my confidence. Even if I somehow played well, I'd come away feeling like crap as we would normally lose.

How are the Puma gloves btw? I do really enjoy the grip on Puma gloves but the sizing is always mental. 

7 hours ago, The Dazzler99 said:

This is why I stopped playing 11 aside. Playing with the bare 11 and taking a spanking during the game. It killed my confidence. Even if I somehow played well, I'd come away feeling like crap as we would normally lose.

How are the Puma gloves btw? I do really enjoy the grip on Puma gloves but the sizing is always mental. 

I have to admit I have been feeling a bit crap the last few weeks. Today at work I have been thinking how I have a whole week until the next game to try and make amends. I still enjoy playing but the stark difference when I am with my GK coach to when I play at the moment is night and day. I feel like I am nervous and hesitant when playing at the moment and because of that I'm not reacting to shots properly. I play much better when I am relaxed and confident, I have told my manager I am setting up a mini goal pre match and doing a proper warm up now. I don't think standing in goal with players smashing the ball top corners before games is helping my mindset.

I haven't used the Puma's in a couple of weeks, mainly because I love the Reusch but also I wanted to give those Black Uhlsports a run out too. The grip on the Puma's is good though,  they feel soft but not too soft. The sizing is much better than in the past, the one thing I will say though, they seem to fit better when they aren't too wet. When I put them on now they are dry they fit fairly snug, but when I wore them quite damp in the game the other week they kind of felt a bit looser than I would want, if that makes sense?

Tell me about it! Nothing worse than having the ball pinged at you which is supposed to be a warm up! It's just a massive confidence killer for me! Especially if I let a couple of simple ones in. 

I find puma gloves always feel loser once a bit of water hits them! I only really use their flat cuts and they become way to baggy in a wet game! Normally have to switch out at half time.

Makes me wonder how/ Buffon has used the puma flat cut gloves his whole career. 

7 hours ago, The Dazzler99 said:

Tell me about it! Nothing worse than having the ball pinged at you which is supposed to be a warm up! It's just a massive confidence killer for me! Especially if I let a couple of simple ones in. 

I find puma gloves always feel loser once a bit of water hits them! I only really use their flat cuts and they become way to baggy in a wet game! Normally have to switch out at half time.

Makes me wonder how/ Buffon has used the puma flat cut gloves his whole career. 

I do have another pair of Puma's to try out, the Future Grip 19.1's the new Black / Yellow colourway. But then I also have some of the new Purple Kaliaaer gloves too. 😂 Decisions decisions.

How many gloves do you own!? 

I wish I could find a pair I really love and just stick with them. The only time I've got close to only wanting to use a single pair is the original One Glove McGregor with the tight flat palm and internal silicone. I found those amazing. Shame it was the only time that cut was used. 

8 hours ago, The Dazzler99 said:

How many gloves do you own!? 

I wish I could find a pair I really love and just stick with them. The only time I've got close to only wanting to use a single pair is the original One Glove McGregor with the tight flat palm and internal silicone. I found those amazing. Shame it was the only time that cut was used. 

Too many! 😅🤷‍♂️

Know the feeling. Problem I have is that I really enjoy trying new gloves etc. I'll normally use a pair for maybe 6-7 games and then want to try something else. I normally keep then in storage and will go back and use a few pairs again when I fancy it. 

Picked up a pair of the One Glove Pulse SL last week in the big sale they had. Really strange fitting glove, the fingers are great the padding is good, wrist entrance and strap feel nice. The double wrapped thumb just feels strange, if used on a normal roll or neg glove it would fit ok, but because the fingers (Has the reusch freccia cut) are so tight and snug, it feels very lose. Hope it doesnt affect my handling of the ball. 

On 08/09/2019 at 1:33 PM, Bucks13 said:

I didn't have a great game today, I think in part because I was pissed off with the warm up and people just banging them in top corner from outside the area so I walked off in the end. Also not helped the pitch was rock hard and I only took studs with plastics in, really needed moulds.

Anyway first half was fine, not a lot to do, a couple of fathers etc, first goal was swung into the box from deep and their player lost his man and on the volley straight through my legs 1-0.

Second half we equalised after Mike our striker today hit a pot shot and their keeper fumbled it above his head into the  net 1-1.

Then some play down our right their LM cut back on to his right foot and curled in a cross, my initial thought was punch it clear, but as I got closer to the ball I thought I can catch this, and in the end I just ended up doing neither and missed the ball and it went straight in. 2-1

Third goal, quite similar, Free Kick on our right the guy hit it and one of their players looked like he was going to flick it with his head and didn't and it just ended up going in at the far post. 3-1

By this point I was a bit all over the place in my head and when  we lost the ball 45 seconds after our kick off and the bloke hit it from 25 yards, I dived but it nestled bottom corner, 4-1.

So yeah not a great day to be honest and I genuinely feel like the (lack of) warm up had a big part in it. I did make a couple of decent stops, but I also make a couple of other fudge ups including diving for a soft shot, got to it, caught it then dropped it as I hit the ground, luckily their player hit it straight at me on the floor.

Changed my mind about kit and ended up wearing the same Purple Nike kit I wore last time.

Boots I wore were the Adidas Copa 19.1 Black / Reds, and Gloves I went with the Pumas.

If people smashed the ball at the goal in the warm up i simply walk out of the goal and move to the side. Rather get a feel for the ball, get my feet moving and stretched etc. Leave them to smash the ball at an empty net.

What league u playing in? AFA league? Middx County?

9 minutes ago, General Zod said:

If people smashed the ball at the goal in the warm up i simply walk out of the goal and move to the side. Rather get a feel for the ball, get my feet moving and stretched etc. Leave them to smash the ball at an empty net.

What league u playing in? AFA league? Middx County?

I've asked my manager to bring the orange bollards down next week and I will do a little proper warm up to the side of the goal from now on.

Not a great standard, just Leatherhead & District Division 6. My biggest problem is I am better than I have been showing and I know it and it is really starting to piss me off. 

Two all draw today against a very youthful Ewell Corinthians team. I would say actually the result was probably fair on the run of play, but it took a late equaliser from us to get a valuable and well earned point, and we almost stole it at the death, but it was cleared off the line.

I decided myself that I needed to be a bit more positive and aggressive in my play as for too long I have held back a bit and put my defence under pressure at times last season and this. First chance came about 2 minutes in, a ball through which I thought I could get to, so I ran out for the ball, and yet realising I wasn't getting there I knew I had to just carry on and do the best I could, and as I threw myself at the ball their left mid smashed it high and wide.

Another chance fella to their forward who cut inside and from about 9 yards out smashed a shot goal wards. It was a bit unorthodox from me but I managed to get a strong hand on the ball and over the bar as I dived to my left. Then a free kick from deep was pumped towards their big centre back and I came and punched the ball away.

Their first goal was a travesty, twice our lads had a chance to clear it and took too long, the ball falling to Piercey our CB inside our box about 8-9 yards out, just had to go! But for some reason he decided to try and dribble past their striker who robbed him, took a touch and rolled it into the bottom corner. 0-1.

Stayed that was until half time, and to be honest we didn't play at all well first half and that goal summed it up.

Second half we started slow again, but held firm at the back they had one shot across goal I got finger tips on but the ref gave us a throw in. 😂 I would say probably 70ish minutes in we managed to equalise, a shot from Jay who was playing RM went across goal and Mike came in at the back post and bundled the ball home, making it look a lot more awkward than it should have been. 1-1.

By this point we were the team on top but then typical of us a lapse at the back, a high ball over the top, I called to Dan another CB to head it back to me, but fuck knows what he done, he kind of let the ball drop and spun around it, their striker stealing it off him and one on one he rolled the ball across me into the far bottom corner, just inside the post. 1-2.

Again we got ourselves back in it, Mike finishing off a nice move to make it 2-2. Then almost straight from the kick off again the ball down our left, their guy played a lovely ball along the deck of the area, I closed the guy in coming who hit it first time straight at me. Then another through ball late on and I came rushing out and slid out to clear ahead of the same player. 2-2 the final result, I think a win for either team would have been unjust really. Oh and my kicking was better today.

Kit: All Red Nike Goalkeeper kit.

csm_NAQ5324-657_1_b1fec20eea.jpg

Boots: Black Adidas 18.1 SG's.

V3_1_Main_0293356.jpg?imwidth=768

Gloves: Reusch Prisma Pro G3 Duo Black Hole.

csm_R3870159_f5d0acec00.jpg

On 10/12/2019 at 7:23 PM, Bucks13 said:

I've asked my manager to bring the orange bollards down next week and I will do a little proper warm up to the side of the goal from now on.

Not a great standard, just Leatherhead & District Division 6. My biggest problem is I am better than I have been showing and I know it and it is really starting to piss me off. 

Never knock the standard your playing at, the main thing is your playing! Now I had a look at the leatherhead league, and i have to applaud. To see a Sunday league running still with TEN divisions is impressive!!

Maybe you are over thinking your game and performance? Dont be too hard on yourself either. Try to enjoy your football, then after th egame just think where you could improve on things, dont beat yourself up. Perhaps they scored a goal and you got a hand to it, if you got your hand to it then maybe in future you could save it. Little things like that, make sure your fully warmed up before a game as well. stretch etc, get a feel for the ball and the grip of your gloves. check out the goalmouth...especially if an away game.

Your kit....................Nike..........:s....(an old joke on here)

Gloves: Reusch Prisma Pro G3 Duo Black Hole. Didnt know flat palms were still a thing? I use to like wearing reusch, but switched to brands on here which were cheaper. Such as Bramic DH-One and F-Line (Which I still purchase)

Nice boots though

12 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Never knock the standard your playing at, the main thing is your playing! Now I had a look at the leatherhead league, and i have to applaud. To see a Sunday league running still with TEN divisions is impressive!!

Maybe you are over thinking your game and performance? Dont be too hard on yourself either. Try to enjoy your football, then after th egame just think where you could improve on things, dont beat yourself up. Perhaps they scored a goal and you got a hand to it, if you got your hand to it then maybe in future you could save it. Little things like that, make sure your fully warmed up before a game as well. stretch etc, get a feel for the ball and the grip of your gloves. check out the goalmouth...especially if an away game.

To be fair the Leatherhead League is quite impressive. When I joined a team in the Morden & District leagues in 2009/10 there was a Premier Division and then down to Division 9 so ten leagues in total. Last season there was 2 divisions and now the Morden & District has folded with a lot of teams moving over to the Leatherhead & District Leagues.

Also never seem to get a lot of trouble if any at all. The Morden Leagues were notorious for punch ups.

I think you are right about me, in that I massively over analyse myself, I think mainly because I know how good I can be, so when I do let a soft one in I go massively hard on myself. I actually really enjoyed Sunday, I felt more relaxed and that allowed me to try and be a bit more aggressive in how I played. I used to play a lot like that when I was younger, my Dad and some of the other Dads used to call me a sweeper keeper years and years before the likes of Manuel Neuer started doing it, but when I fucked my ankle up at 18, I've never been that aggressive, and probably hold back a bit since. Also I had a couple of times I slid out for the ball and missed it  or gathered and then fumbled the ball and it has really put a doubt in my mind about coming out for through balls.