Sign in to follow this  
Bucks13

Jim Buckley (Bucks) Season 2019/20

I've been back for a couple of seasons now so decided to break away from the Bucks Returns thread. Getting myself fit and in shape ready for pre season training to start in a few weeks. Got three kits for this coming season which I will post up later in the week, also got a good selection of gloves to try out this season including:

• New Adidas Predator Hybrid's with the removable strap.

• Two pairs of the new Kaliaaer gloves with the tipped fingers.

• The One Glove Geo Auroras.

I also have the matching Silver Adidas Predator 19.1 boots in a soft ground model (interchangeable studs), but I am deliberating whether to get these Mizuno boots as they are absolutely stunning, and if I do whether to get the pure firm ground model or the mixed sole ones? 🤔

202610_Main_Thumb_0506894.jpg?imwidth=76

7 hours ago, GKJacob said:

When you say interchangeable studs, do you mean SG to FG?

Yeah that's the one. I decided not to get the Mizuno boots for now. I might revisit them when they drop in price, but I have the Silver Adidas Predators and I also have my Adidas X 19s that I have only worn twice too, plus I needed some exercise / running gear so thought the money could be better spent elsewhere (oh and the new England ODI cricket shirt!).

4 hours ago, Bucks13 said:

Yeah that's the one. I decided not to get the Mizuno boots for now. I might revisit them when they drop in price, but I have the Silver Adidas Predators and I also have my Adidas X 19s that I have only worn twice too, plus I needed some exercise / running gear so thought the money could be better spent elsewhere (oh and the new England ODI cricket shirt!).

Wyatt got a pair of Mizuno's late last year.  He never wore them since they felt narrower to him them his Addidas predators and the Nike's he was wearing.  I have to say they are really nice boots though, super soft and they come with a care kit that includes leather food for the uppers.

They are absolutely beautiful boots, and I have heard only good things about Mizuno. Like I say when they drop in price I may revisit it, but I need some training gear and both pairs of trainers I currently have are knackered so had to prioritise for now.

Where can you grab those FG stud replacements for SG boots? Been meaning to grab some for a long time.

13 hours ago, GKJacob said:

Where can you grab those FG stud replacements for SG boots? Been meaning to grab some for a long time.

Not too sure. They used to sell them everywhere but they are a struggle now. Thankfully Adidas give you metal and tpu studs still.

I thought one of our lads had some last season but turns out they still had metal tips.

16 hours ago, GKJacob said:

Only thought Adidas gave you replacement mental studs. :/

They do. But you can still buy the tpu ones, but they only fit Adidas boots.

Nice little session today just to get as much of the squad together and get back kicking a ball. Wasn't too serious, but a loosened really and I kind of needed it, even though I try to play indoors in the week I certainly felt quite stiff today, and my ankle has been playing up recently after I jarred it about a month ago, plus for about the last 2 months I have had problems with my plantar fascia in my foot.

Made a few saves but was slow on a few shots too, but first week back and that. Was good for using my feet though as we done 5 v 5. Shame not the whole team could get together but it was undertaken in a good spirit and a solid hour and a half work out to blow off some of the cob webs.

We are in Division 6 this season, the League goes from Premier Division to Division 9, so we are roughly where we were last season, but as the league have put us in the Surrey Junor Cup rather than the Surrey Lower Junior Cup I guess it is kind of a Promotion. Cannot wait to get going properly now and to get loosened up and ready for the season ahead.

As I mentioned in my Kaliaaer glove thread had a couple of pre season training sessions. Been doing alright but taken a bang at Thursday kick about and think I have bruised ribs so will see how it goes, and maybe take it easy next week. So so sore this afternoon. 😩

Been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks. After flying out of the blocks in pre season, the last couple of weeks I have come away feeling a little perplexed as I seem to be struggling. Not sure why but been letting a few soft goals in training, shots going through, under my hands, not moving or diving for shots withing my reach.

It is all a little frustrating if I am being honest.

I think I need to warm up before training. Marked difference today from the first session where I was God awful again, and then when I was warm and focused second session I was making saves.

Think we have one more training session next week then into friendlies.

Went and had a training session with Andy Little, ex AFC Wimbledon, Crawley Town and Woking goalkeeper yesterday evening. My form in training had become a worry, and the silly mistakes / soft goals I was letting in.

It is remarkable how one session and I already feel much better about myself and my game. Andy did highlight a couple of silly little technical glitches which were basically things I had picked up on myself like I am diving back rather than towards the ball and often have my weight back rather than leaning forwards, and also that I tend to move around too much, so we worked on a couple of bits that I will try to implement over the next couple of weeks then see Andy again for another training session.

One thing to come from it though is I cannot believe quite how unfit I am. I was absolutely blowing after ten minutes. 😆 Overall Andy said I am a really good solid keeper, and I just need to work on those couple of flaws, and perhaps not let mistakes get to me quite so much too.

I think a lot of my bad habits to be honest have developed from the fact I played 5 a side exclusively for 2 years pretty much.

One of the trainers Wyatt worked with once told him if that he hated working with keepers who played 11v11, 5v5, futsal and indoor because each had slightly different forms and that it took months to deprogram the player after the winter indoor season back to 11 v 11.  A lot of the issues (diving back, moving to much, setting at the wrong time, etc.) where the result of just those couple months of indoor.  

Sounds like though you got a solid base to work with.  

2 hours ago, panzerbug said:

One of the trainers Wyatt worked with once told him if that he hated working with keepers who played 11v11, 5v5, futsal and indoor because each had slightly different forms and that it took months to deprogram the player after the winter indoor season back to 11 v 11.  A lot of the issues (diving back, moving to much, setting at the wrong time, etc.) where the result of just those couple months of indoor.  

Sounds like though you got a solid base to work with.  

To be honest I have always known I am a good goalkeeper, but way too often recently I was noticing I wasn't making saves that should be routine, and a lot of that is down to lack of proper training and bad habits I have picked up in the 2 years I didn't play 11 a side.

I think if I can get at least one solid training session in a month it will really help me to stay focused during the season and iron out any mistakes and bad habits as I go along.

It is definitely the team I think. Today I started well at training, then towards the end the team I was on gave up trying to defend and kept leaving me one on one or two on one, and then they wonder why I get pissed off when I start conceding goals.

Meant to have a friendly next week, we shall see how that goes.

First pre season game today against Ironside FC who apparently my team played before in the Morden & District Leagues. We had good numbers and everyone turned up in good spirits despite the rain.

A very good game, where the 2-2 final result totally flattered the opposition. If we had taken our chances they wouldn't have been able to argue if we had run out 6-1 winners. I had a decent game, collecting loose balls and a couple of smart early stops. Kicking was awful though. We went 1 up then 1-2 down. First goal coming from a FK (remember last seasons theme), a ball swung into our box from the left, our CB ducked out of it, both myself and our RM decided we had to act and Jess flicked the ball over my head off the top of his head as I came to claim the ball... O.G.

Second goal was a long throw from the right and the same CB wasn't strong enough and their 6'4" big old unit of a CB outmuscled him and scored a deft flicked header into the far corner from about 8-9 yards out. Totally undeserved but that is football.

We got back into it second half and scored from a nice FK goal of our own, I had a couple more smart stops to make second half including one with virtually the last kick of the game. 2-2 definitely flattered them but a good work out for us (they had already played 2 or 3 games so were ahead of us in their prep), and a lot of positives going towards. Not sure what is going on with friendlies after today, the manager is faffing about a bit.

Kit: All Purple Nike kit.

725884-547-CAT(66)-POS(0)-RAND(xkrsa).jp

200701_Main_Thumb_0414939.jpg?imwidth=76

10346-C(1)-P(0)-R(vph34).jpg

Boots: Black Adidas X 18.1 SG's.

195620_Main_Thumb_0369712.jpg?imwidth=76

Gloves: Pope's Captor Pure.

IMG_20180922_WA0018.jpg

3 hours ago, Schumacher86 said:

Good to see ye back at it Bucks!!!

I've missed playing. Even though we have been back training about 8 weeks, nothing quite beats a good match, and I'm really happy with how I played and felt yesterday even if I felt so could have done better with one of the goals, ai feel really positive and I felt like I was a lot more proactive than reactive in a lot of my play.

Although part of that I reckon is down to the fact we didn't have one of our CBs from last season playing.

Two weeks ago we done nothing on the bank holiday weekend which I thought was absurd, and then Sunday we had training and including myself 7 people turned up. 😒

Thankfully this weekend we have a friendly away against Alexandra United Irons, a team we know quite well as we played them 4 times in League and Cup last season. Alex Utd had 4 teams last season of which Irons were the Thirds but the second team has folded so I am guessing some of their players may have moved down to this lot. Should be a really good test for us and a chance for the new players to gel into the team too.

The season is meant to start next Sunday (15th), but we haven't been scheduled a game, along with 5 other teams in our division. I am hoping we might be able to get another friendly lined up next week as that would be more helpful than training but we shall see.

I thought I had sorted kit for this season but then I saw Sevilla have changed their keeper kit (WHY?!?!?!) since they unveiled them about 6 weeks ago, so now gone and bought the Nike shirt they will be using (which isn't for sale on the official SFC shop).

csm-NAQ5324-547-1-ba5e2e450a.jpg

Kit for tomorrow's friendly, can't decide between the two pairs of gloves which ones to go with mind you. 🤔

20190907-224033.jpg
20190907-224011.jpg
20190907-223945.jpg